Welcome To MyGolfNook
GOLF IS both
FUN AND HEALTHY!
Golf, as in any other sports, requires that you are appropriately and correctly geared up to be able to play the game properly.
For this reason, MyGolfNook.com aims to provide you with articles and information on how to choose your golf equipment and accessories that will help you to learn and play better golf.
To be able to learn and play golf, you need to have the following equipment and accessories. We will intend to talk about each of them throughout the articles in this website.
* Golf Driver (or Golf Club) (necessary)
* Golf Bag (necessary)
* Golf Shoes (necessary)
* Golf Hat (accessory – nice to have)
* Golf Club Cover (accessory – nice to have)
* Golf Cart (provided by Golf Courses – nice to have – makes golf easier than walking from
hole to hole under the hot sun)
* Other Golf Accessories
Your golf clubs are arguably the most important equipment in your arsenal. Without it, you cannot swing or putt your way onto the greens.
The basic set of golf clubs, consists of drivers, wedges, irons and putters.
If you’re a beginner, using a proper type of golf club will help you learn quickly and achieve encouraging results.
Check out some of the good quality yet inexpensive golf clubs here, it might help you get started.
Understanding The Basic Types of Golf Clubs
If you’re new to golf, you may find it ridiculous to be needing fourteen (14) different golf clubs just to hit the ball enough times to get it into the hole.
As you play the game more, however, you will appreciate that the different types of clubs are really handy in different situations and areas of the golf course.
The first type of golf club is called Wood. Don’t be confused but these clubs are not made of wood, but rather steel or titanium.
Woods are designed to allow for the longest distance with each stroke so they are usually used on the long and straight portions of the golf course.
They are also, normally, the longest clubs in the set.
The next type are Irons. They are the most versatile compare to the other types of clubs and makes up a fairly larger portion in your bag. The accuracy
of iron clubs are better than woods but they sacrifice distance.
The third and last type of golf club is the putter. A standard golf bag usually contains only one of these club. It is used on the putting green at the end of the course. It is the club with the shortest distance and highest accuracy.
Putting is where you would usually spend most of the time when you play golf so it is important to get a nice putter and practice with it consistently.
When you could start recognizing when to use a wood or an iron, you are beginning to get a hang of the game. Until you get to that point, you just have to practice with your golf clubs.
Golf Clubs Safety
Ensure that your golf clubs are stored safely. DO NOT leave your clubs in your car overnight especially if you are not parked in a secure garage.
Thieves are cunning and they know that golfers tend to keep their clubs on the trunk or the back seat and they will target these areas.
Used Golf Clubs
If you don’t have a budget for buying a new set of clubs, there are used golf clubs available online, like Callaway Preowned Golf clubs.
These are high-quality and Callaway-certified clubs that can be purchased at a price much lower than their new counterparts. Besides the quality assurance, Callaway Golf Preowned also provide guarantees and warranties to protect your purchase. You can check them out by clicking here.
If you need some iron sets, Callaway have a wide range of used, preowned irons in their listing as well. They are still high-quality but price is considerably lower than buying new ones.
“The most important shot in golf is the next one.” – Ben Hogan
Of course, having something to put your golf clubs into for organization and protection makes sense, right?
That is why golf bags are really essential if you want to play golf.
It doesn’t just organize your clubs for you, it can also hold your other golf accessories such as drink bottles, towels, shirts, etc. to provide you a better golfing experience.
There are basically two types of golf bags, a cart bag and a carry-on bag.
On carry-on bags, there are those that have stands and there are those that don’t.
With regards to cart bags, you can check out our article on the top lightweight golf cart bags.
Whatever level of player you are, there’s bound to be a bag that would suit your needs and preferences.
Also, with the advancements in material technology, golf bags are now lighter in weight and toughness & durability improved as well.
For women’s golf bags, we have an article here that you’ll definitely find interesting.
You can also visit and check out Amazon for the best and cheapest golf bags here.
To check out all our articles about golf bags, click here.
“If you watch a game, it’s fun. If you play at it, it’s recreation. If you work at it, it’s golf.” – Bob Hope
Golf balls are one of the essentials in order to play golf. You won't be hitting anything if you don't have balls.
Remember that not all golf balls are the same though. They are constructed with three things in mind – distance, spin and control.
Depending on how you want to play, you have to choose your golf balls appropriately.
Make sure to bring enough balls with you if you are just starting out as it could be very easy to lose balls in the woods or in the water.
Also, check that your golf balls are clean before using them as dirt will significantly alter the speed and other characteristics of the ball.
It is also worth mentioning that there are golf balls that you can use for practice outside the golf course. Check out this article -> Almost Golf Practice Balls to find out more.
“As you walk down the fairway of life, you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round.” – Ben Hogan
Same as with any other sport, there are also dedicated shoes for golf.
An appropriate and suitable pair of golf shoes is not intended for luxury but to improve the way you play while you are wearing them and it helps you to hold your form during your swing.
Choosing the right shoes will ensure that you are comfortable and will help you improve your overall game. One of the most popular pair of shoes in the market today is the Adidas Powerband 4.0. Click here to read our review about it.
The golf shoes section of Amazon will provide you a great idea of what is popular with golf players these days.
If you are ordering golf shoes online, take note that shoe sizes are normally pretty standard so you would just order the shoe size you usually wear. Check also if the website has a sizing chart to help guide you along.
“I don’t let birdies and pars get in the way of having a good time” - Angelo Spagnolo
There are other golf accessories that enables you to play better and enjoy the game more.
It will help you determine how to play the succeeding holes because you would know how far it is.
Just keep in mind, that there are three types of golf rangefinders:
- the GPS rangefinder,
- the Laser rangefinder and
- the Hybrid rangefinder (combination of GPS and Laser)
and various known brands sell each types. A good example of a laser rangefinder is the Bushnell Tour Z6.
To learn more about golf rangefinders, have a read on this article -> Rangefinders For Golf.
“Golf is a compromise between what your ego wants you to do, what experience tells you to do, and what your nerves let you do.” - Bruce Crampton
Training equipment will help make you a better golfer.
Training aids and other training gears can definitely contribute to your development.
Examples of such are golf swing simulator softwares like the OptiShot 2, golf swing trainers and golf training videos.
Putting practice mats are also quite popular. It helps you polish your putting stroke and develop accuracy. Golf putting aids will surely give your game a boost, so you should try them out as well.
Golf practice nets are excellent training aid as well. Have a look at our 3-in-1 Golf Practice Net and see if you could add it for your training arsenal.
One aspect of training that you should also focus on is the mental part of golf. As golf is really a game of concentration, mental
training is a must for you if you really want to improve your game.
One helpful tip on this aspect is to make sure that you always take practice swings before hitting the ball.
Remember that each hit counts and it conditions your body and mind to be ready for the next stroke.
When you do your practice swings, step away from the ball so you won’t make accidental contact with it.
“You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.” - Bobby Jones
Golf hats could be a necessity depending on how sunny is the place you are playing on.
Most golfers opt for a hat to keep the sun out of their eyes and provide more concentration.
However, not having to wear a hat would mean you cannot play golf. It’s just really nice to have and it could help you play better golf.
Check out the most popular hats in Amazon here.
As you play more, you might develop blisters on your hands. Investing in a suitable and comfortable pair of golf gloves will become important to you then as you don’t want to stop enjoying the game by injuring your hands.
As golf clubs can definitely wear and have impact on the sensitive areas of your hands, be sure to take care and protect them.
We also have a listing of highly rated women’s golf gloves in a separate article.
Golf Clubs Cover
Golf clubs are your primary weapon in golf so it would need the utmost care from you. Damage from contact with other clubs and other things that may come into contact with them are the least of what you want. This is where golf club covers play an important role.
Golf club covers can be used to cover the edges of your golf clubs and protects them from unwanted dents and scratches. Club covers also cut down the noise caused when moving your golf bag around.
At any rate, this is another accessory however, and you can still play golf without it but never downplay the benefit of using them.
Some people play golf not just for playing but to have exercise (walking) as well.
However, there are some people that just don’t have that passion. This is when golf carts become really handy.
If you have a golf cart, you do not have to haul your golf bag around thus it will help you avoid fatigue.
Plus, you can carry along a cooler with your snacks and drinks in it which would make your golfing experience more enjoyable.
Other Golf Accessories
Push carts to help you carry your bag all through the course is getting popular as well because it lessens the burden on yourself to carry your golf bag from hole to hole. The Caddytek Caddylite is one great example of this and the Bag Boy Quad Plus push cart as well.
As far as protecting yourself while playing in the golf course, golf sunglasses would fit perfectly in this category. Radiation is present even on a not so sunny day so wearing an eye protection indeed makes sense.
Golf jackets also offer protection to your body against the wind, cold temperature and other outdoor elements. Make sure you have one handy when you have to play during cold weather.
“A shot that goes in the cup is pure luck, but a shot to within two feet of the flag is skill.” - Ben Hogan
Golf Gift Ideas
If you are thinking of giving a gift to someone, there are lots of golf items that are classy yet inexpensive.
Check out our article here to find out a list of some great golf gift ideas that you can buy as a present.
It is always good to keep updated of the happenings in the golfing world and be aware of what's new.
Check out the following links below for more news about golf.
- Thomas: LIV Golf player complaints over ranking points 'their own fault' September 21, 2022Justin Thomas says he does not understand complaints from LIV Golf players regarding ranking points, saying "it's their own fault".
- MacIntyre secures Italian Open title after play-off win vs Fitzpatrick September 18, 2022Scotland's Robert MacIntyre claimed the Italian Open title after beating England's Matt Fitzpatrick at the first play-off hole in the DP World Tour event.
- Fitzpatrick leads by one in Italy with McIlroy, Rai breathing down his neck September 17, 2022Matt Fitzpatrick heads into the final round of the DS Automobiles Italian Open with a one-shot lead but has Rory McIlroy and Aaron Rai breathing down his neck.
- McIlroy surges into Italian Open lead, Fitzpatrick one back September 16, 2022Rory McIlroy produced a sprint finish in more ways than one to snatch the halfway lead from Ryder Cup team-mate Matt Fitzpatrick in the DS Automobiles Italian Open.
- Fitzpatrick ahead as McIlroy impresses in Italy September 15, 2022Matt Fitzpatrick topped the leaderboard after a weather-disrupted first day at the DS Automobiles Italian Open, where Rory McIlroy bounced back from a slow start to also impress.
- Italian Open:Final leaderboard September 15, 2022Final leaderboard from the DP World Tour's DS Automobiles Italian Open as Robert MacIntyre beat Matt Fitzpatrick in a play-off at Marco Simone GC in Rome.
- McIlroy motivated by 'grim' LIV leaderboard | Europe 'looking towards the future' September 14, 2022Rory McIlroy admitted that the “grim” presence of LIV Golf members being in contention at the BMW PGA Championship helped him to a strong finish at Wentworth.
- Ines Laklalech makes history with Ladies Open de France win September 18, 2022
- 24 hours of mini-golf: The quartet who crushed a world record to raise money for Kentucky flood victims September 13, 2022
- Shane Lowry pips Rory McIlroy to BMW PGA Championship to end three-year winless drought September 12, 2022
- McIlroy overturns six-shot deficit at FedEx Cup to make Tour Championship history August 29, 2022
- Meet 'Snappy Gilmore,' the viral TikTok sensation reinventing the golf swing August 25, 2022
- 'Times are changing': Ashleigh Buhai braced for new life after history-making first major win at Women's British Open August 11, 2022
- Making whisky in golf country July 28, 2022
- Norman's LIV lobbying gets mixed reviews in D.C. September 22, 2022LIV Golf CEO and commissioner Greg Norman met with federal lawmakers on Capitol Hill on Wednesday to lobby on behalf of the new circuit being financed by Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund, and his message was met with mixed reviews.
- Int'l team leads with Scott-Matsuyama in Prez Cup September 21, 2022Adam Scott and Hideki Matsuyama will face off against Patrick Cantlay and Xander Schauffele in the opening match of the Presidents Cup, where the U.S. team figures to have a sizable advantage.
- The International team faces historic odds; can it pull off a massive Presidents Cup upset? September 21, 2022The U.S. team features five of the top 10 players in the world, including No. 1 Scottie Scheffler. The International team will try to be Buster Douglas to the American's Mike Tyson.
- Norman asked to skip QBE, which he founded September 21, 2022LIV Golf's Greg Norman says he has been asked not to attend the QBE Shootout, an event he founded and has hosted since 1989. "Why one might ask? Perhaps it is because I am helping to give golf a new heartbeat ..."
- LIV golfers petition OWGR chair to include results September 20, 2022LIV golfers have signed a letter sent to the chairperson of the Official World Golf Ranking asking that the OWGR retroactively include LIV Golf results in its rankings. LIV players have not received points for their finishes so far.
- What you need to know ahead of the 2022 Presidents Cup September 20, 2022A lot has changed in the sport of golf since the last Presidents Cup tournament. Here's a look at the schedule, competitors and what's at stake.
- LIV's Norman in DC to defend Saudi-backed tour September 19, 2022LIV Golf CEO and commissioner Greg Norman will be in Washington this week to meet with lawmakers to discuss the golf circuit and address concerns about its controversial ties to Saudi Arabia.
To be a better all around golfer, you have to know and learn from the professionals. They have their own style of play and learning the trick from them would definitely make you a better golfer. Watch some videos of your favorite players and see how they do their swing and putt and try to practice them next time you play.
Remember to add power to your swing by utilizing your body and not your arms. You have to lean in to power your shot and turn with the ball on the downswing. This enables you to use the power of your body muscles to get a better shot and not be limited with just your arm muscles.
You can also improve your game by visiting three-par golf courses available in the area. Putting enough effort and improving your short game will drastically reduce your handicap.
Another helpful tip that we can tell you is that for you to be aware of the type of refreshments or concessions the golf course provides. If the course do not offer any, you have to bring with you ample snacks or drinks so you won’t get hungry halfway through the round.
Thank you for visiting MyGolfNook.com and we hope that you will have a great time reading through the articles and other information in our website.
If you have comments and suggestions, please do drop us some lines using our Contact page. We will do our best to bring you excellent user experience with our website.
Enjoy your game!