Welcome To MyGolfNook
GOLF IS both
FUN AND HEALTHY!
Golf, as in any other sports, requires that you are appropriately and correctly geared up to be able to play the game properly.
For this reason, MyGolfNook.com aims to provide you with articles and information on how to choose your golf equipment and accessories that will help you to learn and play better golf.
To be able to learn and play golf, you need to have the following equipment and accessories. We will intend to talk about each of them throughout the articles in this website.
* Golf Driver (or Golf Club) (necessary)
* Golf Bag (necessary)
* Golf Shoes (necessary)
* Golf Hat (accessory – nice to have)
* Golf Club Cover (accessory – nice to have)
* Golf Cart (provided by Golf Courses – nice to have – makes golf easier than walking from
hole to hole under the hot sun)
* Other Golf Accessories
Your golf clubs are arguably the most important equipment in your arsenal. Without it, you cannot swing or putt your way onto the greens.
The basic set of golf clubs, consists of drivers, wedges, irons and putters.
If you’re a beginner, using a proper type of golf club will help you learn quickly and achieve encouraging results.
Check out some of the good quality yet inexpensive golf clubs here, it might help you get started.
Understanding The Basic Types of Golf Clubs
If you’re new to golf, you may find it ridiculous to be needing fourteen (14) different golf clubs just to hit the ball enough times to get it into the hole.
As you play the game more, however, you will appreciate that the different types of clubs are really handy in different situations and areas of the golf course.
The first type of golf club is called Wood. Don’t be confused but these clubs are not made of wood, but rather steel or titanium.
Woods are designed to allow for the longest distance with each stroke so they are usually used on the long and straight portions of the golf course.
They are also, normally, the longest clubs in the set.
The next type are Irons. They are the most versatile compare to the other types of clubs and makes up a fairly larger portion in your bag. The accuracy
of iron clubs are better than woods but they sacrifice distance.
The third and last type of golf club is the putter. A standard golf bag usually contains only one of these club. It is used on the putting green at the end of the course. It is the club with the shortest distance and highest accuracy.
Putting is where you would usually spend most of the time when you play golf so it is important to get a nice putter and practice with it consistently.
When you could start recognizing when to use a wood or an iron, you are beginning to get a hang of the game. Until you get to that point, you just have to practice with your golf clubs.
Golf Clubs Safety
Ensure that your golf clubs are stored safely. DO NOT leave your clubs in your car overnight especially if you are not parked in a secure garage.
Thieves are cunning and they know that golfers tend to keep their clubs on the trunk or the back seat and they will target these areas.
Used Golf Clubs
If you don’t have a budget for buying a new set of clubs, there are used golf clubs available online, like Callaway Preowned Golf clubs.
These are high-quality and Callaway-certified clubs that can be purchased at a price much lower than their new counterparts. Besides the quality assurance, Callaway Golf Preowned also provide guarantees and warranties to protect your purchase. You can check them out by clicking here.
If you need some iron sets, Callaway have a wide range of used, preowned irons in their listing as well. They are still high-quality but price is considerably lower than buying new ones.
“The most important shot in golf is the next one.” – Ben Hogan
Of course, having something to put your golf clubs into for organization and protection makes sense, right?
That is why golf bags are really essential if you want to play golf.
It doesn’t just organize your clubs for you, it can also hold your other golf accessories such as drink bottles, towels, shirts, etc. to provide you a better golfing experience.
There are basically two types of golf bags, a cart bag and a carry-on bag.
On carry-on bags, there are those that have stands and there are those that don’t.
With regards to cart bags, you can check out our article on the top lightweight golf cart bags.
Whatever level of player you are, there’s bound to be a bag that would suit your needs and preferences.
Also, with the advancements in material technology, golf bags are now lighter in weight and toughness & durability improved as well.
Read through our article about lightweight golf bags or the lightweight carry-on bags and see which of the golf bags available in the market today is the lightest of them all.
For women’s golf bags, we have an article here that you’ll definitely find interesting.
You can also visit and check out Amazon for the best and cheapest golf bags here.
To check out all our articles about golf bags, click here.
“If you watch a game, it’s fun. If you play at it, it’s recreation. If you work at it, it’s golf.” – Bob Hope
Golf balls are one of the essentials in order to play golf. You won't be hitting anything if you don't have balls.
Remember that not all golf balls are the same though. They are constructed with three things in mind – distance, spin and control.
Depending on how you want to play, you have to choose your golf balls appropriately.
Make sure to bring enough balls with you if you are just starting out as it could be very easy to lose balls in the woods or in the water.
Also, check that your golf balls are clean before using them as dirt will significantly alter the speed and other characteristics of the ball.
It is also worth mentioning that there are golf balls that you can use for practice outside the golf course. Check out this article -> Almost Golf Practice Balls to find out more.
“As you walk down the fairway of life, you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round.” – Ben Hogan
Same as with any other sport, there are also dedicated shoes for golf.
An appropriate and suitable pair of golf shoes is not intended for luxury but to improve the way you play while you are wearing them and it helps you to hold your form during your swing.
Choosing the right shoes will ensure that you are comfortable and will help you improve your overall game. One of the most popular pair of shoes in the market today is the Adidas Powerband 4.0. Click here to read our review about it.
The golf shoes section of Amazon will provide you a great idea of what is popular with golf players these days.
If you are ordering golf shoes online, take note that shoe sizes are normally pretty standard so you would just order the shoe size you usually wear. Check also if the website has a sizing chart to help guide you along.
“I don’t let birdies and pars get in the way of having a good time” - Angelo Spagnolo
There are other golf accessories that enables you to play better and enjoy the game more.
Like the golf GPS or golf rangefinders, such as the Bushnell Pro 1600, which gives you the distance to the pin.
It will help you determine how to play the succeeding holes because you would know how far it is.
Just keep in mind, that there are three types of golf rangefinders:
- the GPS rangefinder,
- the Laser rangefinder and
- the Hybrid rangefinder (combination of GPS and Laser)
and various known brands sell each types. A good example of a laser rangefinder is the Bushnell Tour Z6.
To learn more about golf rangefinders, have a read on this article -> Rangefinders For Golf.
“Golf is a compromise between what your ego wants you to do, what experience tells you to do, and what your nerves let you do.” - Bruce Crampton
Training equipment will help make you a better golfer.
Training aids and other training gears can definitely contribute to your development.
Examples of such are golf swing simulator softwares like the OptiShot 2, golf swing trainers and golf training videos.
Putting practice mats are also quite popular. It helps you polish your putting stroke and develop accuracy. Golf putting aids will surely give your game a boost, so you should try them out as well.
Golf practice nets are excellent training aid as well. Have a look at our 3-in-1 Golf Practice Net and see if you could add it for your training arsenal.
One aspect of training that you should also focus on is the mental part of golf. As golf is really a game of concentration, mental
training is a must for you if you really want to improve your game.
One helpful tip on this aspect is to make sure that you always take practice swings before hitting the ball.
Remember that each hit counts and it conditions your body and mind to be ready for the next stroke.
When you do your practice swings, step away from the ball so you won’t make accidental contact with it.
“You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.” - Bobby Jones
Golf hats could be a necessity depending on how sunny is the place you are playing on.
Most golfers opt for a hat to keep the sun out of their eyes and provide more concentration.
However, not having to wear a hat would mean you cannot play golf. It’s just really nice to have and it could help you play better golf.
Check out the most popular hats in Amazon here.
As you play more, you might develop blisters on your hands. Investing in a suitable and comfortable pair of golf gloves will become important to you then as you don’t want to stop enjoying the game by injuring your hands.
As golf clubs can definitely wear and have impact on the sensitive areas of your hands, be sure to take care and protect them.
Click Here To Learn More About Golf Gloves. If you are looking for some men’s golf gloves, we have lined up the best golf gloves in the market these days in this post.
We also have a listing of highly rated women’s golf gloves in a separate article.
Golf Clubs Cover
Golf clubs are your primary weapon in golf so it would need the utmost care from you. Damage from contact with other clubs and other things that may come into contact with them are the least of what you want. This is where golf club covers play an important role.
Golf club covers can be used to cover the edges of your golf clubs and protects them from unwanted dents and scratches. Club covers also cut down the noise caused when moving your golf bag around.
At any rate, this is another accessory however, and you can still play golf without it but never downplay the benefit of using them.
Some people play golf not just for playing but to have exercise (walking) as well.
However, there are some people that just don’t have that passion. This is when golf carts become really handy.
If you have a golf cart, you do not have to haul your golf bag around thus it will help you avoid fatigue.
Plus, you can carry along a cooler with your snacks and drinks in it which would make your golfing experience more enjoyable.
Other Golf Accessories
Push carts to help you carry your bag all through the course is getting popular as well because it lessens the burden on yourself to carry your golf bag from hole to hole. The Caddytek Caddylite is one great example of this and the Bag Boy Quad Plus push cart as well.
As far as protecting yourself while playing in the golf course, golf sunglasses would fit perfectly in this category. Radiation is present even on a not so sunny day so wearing an eye protection indeed makes sense.
Golf jackets also offer protection to your body against the wind, cold temperature and other outdoor elements. Make sure you have one handy when you have to play during cold weather.
“A shot that goes in the cup is pure luck, but a shot to within two feet of the flag is skill.” - Ben Hogan
Golf Gift Ideas
If you are thinking of giving a gift to someone, there are lots of golf items that are classy yet inexpensive.
Check out our article here to find out a list of some great golf gift ideas that you can buy as a present.
It is always good to keep updated of the happenings in the golfing world and be aware of what's new.
Check out the following links below for more news about golf.
SkySports | News
- Porsche European Open: Latest scores June 1, 2023Leaderboard updates from the DP World Tour's Porsche European Open, held at Green Eagle Golf Course in Hamburg, Germany. Watch live on Sky Sports Golf.
- PODCAST: Larrazabal on KLM Open, Ryder Cup aims, interesting texts May 29, 2023Josh Antmann and John E Morgan are joined by KLM Open champion and nine-time winner on the DP World Tour Pablo Larrazbal in the latest edition of the Sky Sports Golf podcast.
- Larrazabal clinches KLM Open title after late birdie run May 28, 2023Pablo Larrazabal birdied three of his final four holes to win the KLM Open by two strokes from fellow Spaniard Adrian Otaegui and clinch his second DP World Tour title in the space of four weeks.
- Larrazabal leads KLM Open by one after spotless third round May 27, 2023Pablo Larrazabal will take a one-shot lead into the final day of the KLM Open after a blemish-free third round boosted his quest for a second title in as many months.
- Armitage four shots off leader Campillo at KLM Open May 26, 2023Spain's Jorge Campillo saw his lead at the KLM Open trimmed to two strokes after shooting a one-under 71 in the second round.
- KLM Open: Final leaderboard May 25, 2023Final leaderboard from the DP World Tour's KLM Open, held at the Bernardus Golf Club in Cromvoirt, Netherlands, where Pablo Larrazabal won by two shots.
- Forsstrom leads Soudal Open with Morrison three back May 12, 2023England's James Morrison is three shots off leader Simon Forsstrom at the halfway stage of the Soudal Open in Belgium.
CNN.com – RSS Channel – Sport – Golf
- Nine-year-old Brazilian becomes youngest ever to attempt US Women's Open qualification May 10, 2023
- Rickie Fowler picks up snake with golf club at Wells Fargo Championship May 8, 2023
- Wyndham Clark soars to first PGA Tour victory at Wells Fargo Championship May 8, 2023
- Tee-k Tock: The 'appalling' slow play controversy riling golf's biggest stars May 4, 2023
- 'We know what's at stake': Matt Fitzpatrick playing to win his brother a PGA Tour spot at Zurich Classic April 20, 2023
- Chris Kirk speaks to CNN after first PGA Tour win in 8 years March 3, 2023
- Rising star Atthaya Thitikul eyes major 2023 February 23, 2023
www.espn.com – GOLF
- Zhang 1st since '51 to win LPGA title in pro debut June 5, 2023Two-time NCAA champion Rose Zhang became the first player in 72 years to win on the LPGA Tour in her pro debut, capturing the Mizuho Americas Open with a par on the second playoff hole against Jennifer Kupcho on Sunday.
- Hovland wins Memorial with clutch late putting June 5, 2023Viktor Hovland delivered three clutch putts at the end to win the Memorial in a playoff over hard-luck Denny McCarthy on Sunday.
- Ames wins 3rd PGA Tour Champions title this year June 5, 2023Stephen Ames birdied the 17th hole and closed with a 5-under 67 on Sunday for a one-shot victory over Steve Stricker and Jerry Kelly in the Principal Charity Classic, giving Ames his third PGA Tour Champions title this year.
- Morikawa WDs from Memorial with back spasms June 4, 2023Collin Morikawa has withdrawn from the Memorial Tournament ahead of Sunday's final round due to back spasms. The 26-year-old was 2 strokes off the lead.
- McKibbin emerges from 6-way tie for Euro victory June 4, 2023Twenty-year-old Tom McKibbin shot a 3-under 70 in the final round to win the European Open and earn his first European tour victory
- M. Lee, Knight lead LPGA event; Zhang 2 back June 4, 2023Minjee Lee and Cheyenne Knight lead the LPGA Tour's weather-delayed Mizuho Americas Open at 7-under 137, while Rose Zhang is 2 shots back.
- McIlroy grabs share of lead at Memorial after 70 June 4, 2023Rory McIlroy finished Round 3 with a 2-under 70 Saturday at the Memorial, good enough for him to share the lead with David Lipsky and Si Woo Kim at the tournament in Dublin, Ohio.
To be a better all around golfer, you have to know and learn from the professionals. They have their own style of play and learning the trick from them would definitely make you a better golfer. Watch some videos of your favorite players and see how they do their swing and putt and try to practice them next time you play.
Remember to add power to your swing by utilizing your body and not your arms. You have to lean in to power your shot and turn with the ball on the downswing. This enables you to use the power of your body muscles to get a better shot and not be limited with just your arm muscles.
You can also improve your game by visiting three-par golf courses available in the area. Putting enough effort and improving your short game will drastically reduce your handicap.
Another helpful tip that we can tell you is that for you to be aware of the type of refreshments or concessions the golf course provides. If the course do not offer any, you have to bring with you ample snacks or drinks so you won’t get hungry halfway through the round.
Thank you for visiting MyGolfNook.com and we hope that you will have a great time reading through the articles and other information in our website.
If you have comments and suggestions, please do drop us some lines using our Contact page. We will do our best to bring you excellent user experience with our website.
Enjoy your game!
Read Our Blog!
Check out our latest articles about golf bags. You’ll find some very enthusiastic reads in here!